Sunday 21 June 2009

Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town

Ruby, Don't Take You Love To Town (Tillis) - Kenny Rogers and the First Edition
c/w Girl Get A Hold Of Yourself (Rogers)

1969

Woah, what have we here? A number one in the UK in 1969 (NME chart, No.2 o the BBC) this is the tale of a disabled soldier begging his lover not to leave him for another, able bodied man - complete with killing fantasies; "If I could move I'd get my gun and put her in the ground."

Yeah, I can see that being a hit.

To top it off it's based on real experiences! Mel Tillis, the author of this tune, had neighbours where he had served in the second world war, was injured and sent to England to recuperate where he met and married his nurse. After moving to Florida he had to make repeat visits to hospital which is when she would see another man!

More like a rap story ,"Yo b#tch ho, I bus' a cap in yo ass - if only I could get my AK!"
Or something. . . .




I quite like the 'b' side and listen to 'Girl, Get A Hold Of Yourself' on Last FM here

No comments:

Post a Comment